Mauna Lani Resort
Mauna Lani South and the Spirit of Hawaii
This week we visit the Big Island of Hawaii. Mauna Lani, the South Course, features championship golf and one of the most photographed over-the-water holes in golf, ever. If you are looking for a round of golf that will test every club in your bag and features stunning views of the Pacific Ocean, look no further than this Hawaiian gem.
- The course was designed by Homer Flint and Raymond Cain. Cain designed several championship courses all over the world, including: Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Fiji, and Australia.
- From 1990 to 2000, Mauna Lani hosted the Senior Skins Game. A “skin,” as most golfers know, is the pot given for the low score on each of the 18 holes.
- Participants of the Senior Skins Game have included: Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Raymond Floyd, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Gary Player, Hale Irwin, and Jim Colbert.
- The resort was first acquired by Francis H I’I Brown – it was under Brown’s stewardship that Kalahuipua’a, now called Mauna Lani, remained a uniquely Hawaiian place.
- Mauna Lani consistently ranks as one of Golf Digest’s “Best in State,” courses.