Bethpage State Park
This week we are headed up to Farmingdale in Long Island, New York to Bethpage State Park. The Black Course is an incredibly challenging course and has one of the highest slop ratings in the northeast. Designed by A.W. Tillinghast, it is widely considered to be the architect’s finest work. With narrow fairways, long rough, well placed bunkers, and narrow greens, this course is as beautiful as it is challenging.
- This course has been ranked: 26th Best Golf Course; 6th Toughest Course in America; and 5th Greatest Public Golf Course.
- Bethpage Black opened in 1936 and was designed by A.W. Tillinghast and Joe Burbeck.
- Bethpage Black is one of five 18-hole courses at Bethpage State Park. The park is the largest public golf facility in the country.
- On average, 300,000 rounds are played annually on all five courses at Bethpage.
- In 2002, Bethpage Black became the first publicly owned and operated golf course to host the U.S. Open.
Past Winners: Nick Watney (The Barclays, 2012), Lucas Glover (US Open, 2008), Tiger Woods (US Open, 2002).